Your family and health are paramount to both your personal and professional success. Making sure that everyone is happy and healthy can be a balancing act. Here you’ll find resources that you can potentially rely on for assistance.
Click on one of the Family & Healthcare topics from the list below, or scroll to see the entire page content.
Temporary Assistance – County and States Agencies and Directories
- State Agencies and Programs (including Energy Assistance Programs)
- Dutchess County
- Orange County
- Ulster County
- Putnam County
The focus of the United Way includes, but is not limited to, things like helping children and youth achieve their potential, promoting financial stability and independence, assisting with basic needs, improving health, and helping with employment issues and child services (day care).
- United Way of Dutchess County – Including FamilyWize prescription cards for the entire family to assist with decreasing the cost of medications.
- United Way of Orange County – Includes a complete listing of emergency services.
- United Way of Ulster County – Includes a link to 2-1-1.
- United Way of Westchester and Putnam – Inclides information on 2-1-1 and the Born Learning program.
- Hudson Valley Region 2-1-1 Get Connected. Get Answers. – United Way Hudson Valley Region’s 2-1-1 is the abbreviated dialing code for free access to health and human services information and referral. 2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember and universally recognizable number that makes a critical connection between individuals and families seeking services, including:
- Basic human needs
- Physical and mental health challenges
- Employment issues / solutions
- Challenges facing older adults and people with disabilities
- Needs of children, youth and families
- Volunteer opportunities and ways to donate.
County Social Services, Health Department, and Medical Insurance
Local county health department services, brochures and application information:
- Dutchess County Health Department Brochure – For a listing of all free services, clinic hours, phone numbers, and locations.
- Orange County Health Department – For a listing of all government agencies, including a community outreach listing. This site also has information regarding the Orange County Department of Social Services and the HEAP (Heating Energy Assistance Program) for Orange County.
- Ulster County Health Department – Provides a wide range of services and programs to county residents, designed to ensure the well-being of citizens, educating the public about health issues and concerns, and providing programs and services which directly benefit the people who live in Ulster County.
- Putnam County Social Services Department – For a listing of free family and child services for residents of Putnam County.
This organization can assist with your domestic and community needs. Their programs provide mental, social and emotional services to families, and teach families the coping and capacity building skills needed to live fruitful lives. Services aren’t limited to the poor, and clients come from all walks of life and all corners of the Mid-Hudson Valley.
- Hudson Valley Mental Health – Operates five New York State licensed outpatient mental health clinics that provide a full array of therapeutic services to adults, seniors, and families. Services are available to everyone in need, regardless of insurance or income. These services include individual or group therapy, medication, and medication management.
- Dutchess County Department of Mental Hygiene – The Department of Mental Hygiene plans for, develops, oversees, and provides, in conjunction with allied agencies, a comprehensive and integrated array of services and programs to meet the mental hygiene needs of the Dutchess County community.
- HELPLINE for crisis intervention, telephone counseling, information & referral, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Call 845.485.9700 or toll free 877.485.9700
- Mental Health America of Dutchess County – Mental Health America of Dutchess County promotes mental well-being and advances recovery from mental illness by providing a range of rehabilitation, supportive, case management, education, advocacy and drop-in services for adults, children, youths and families. Depression screenings are held for the public to educate and raise awareness that treatment works.
- Mental Health Association in Orange County – Mental Health Association in Orange County, Inc. (MHA) seeks to promote the positive mental health and emotional well-being of Orange County residents, working towards reducing the stigma of mental illness, developmental disabilities, and providing support to victims of sexual assault and other crimes. Confidential Online Screening for Mental Health.
- HELPLINE for crisis intervention, telephone counseling, information & referral, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Call 800.832.1200.
- Orange County Department of Health – Provides information about service availability and service locations throughout Orange County.
- Mental Health Association in Ulster County, Inc – The Mission of the MHA is to engage all people in optimal mental health by providing innovative
programs and services that heal, prevent, educate and advocate.
- Ulster County Mental Health Department – Provides information about service availability and service locations throughout Ulster County.
- Putnam County Social Services Department – Services include mental health services, alcoholism & substance abuse services and services for the developmentally disabled.
- Continuation of Benefits Reciprocity Act – COBRA gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue group health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time under certain circumstances such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in the hours worked, transition between jobs, death, divorce, and other life events. Provides answers to commonly asked questions and a detailed overview of the major provisions of COBRA.
- Healthy NY – Uninsured sole proprietors and workers whose employers do not provide health insurance may also purchase comprehensive coverage directly through the Healthy NY program.
- Child Health Plus – New York State has a health insurance plan for kids, called Child Health Plus. Depending on your family’s income, your child may be eligible to join either Children’s Medicaid or Child Health Plus. Both Children’s Medicaid and Child Health Plus are available through dozens of providers throughout the state. Includes information on how to apply.
- New York State Office of Children & Family Services – Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (CCRRs) provide services to parents and day care providers in every county of New York State.
- Child Care Council of Dutchess County – The Child Care Council of Dutchess Inc is an agency committed to the needs of children and care givers throughout Dutchess County. They provide a variety of resources to help parents and care givers.
- Child Care Council of Orange – They assist parents, child care programs, and the community with information and resources to choose child care, provide child care and / or support child care and early learning options in Orange County.
- Day Care in Orange County – A list of locations in Orange County.
- Child Care Council of Ulster County – A list of locations in Ulster County.
- Ulster County Child Care Resource Guide – The site includes a day care search link.
- Day Care in Putnam County – A list of locations in Putnam County.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP for short, and formerly known as Food Stamps) – SNAP helps low-income people and families buy the food they need for good health. You apply for benefits by completing a State application form.
- US Department of Agriculture Food & Nutrition Service
- New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance – Find out if you are eligible and what you will need to apply.
- Fact Sheet
- County offices for local assistance:
- Dutchess County – Includes services available for those impacted by job loss, with an extensive listing of county services available, including Dutchess Outreach and Hudson River Housing’s Neighbor Works, offering foreclosure counseling.
- Orange County – Includes an extensive listing of county services available.
- Ulster County – Includes an extensive listing of county services available.
- Putnam County – Includes an extensive listing of county services available.
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program – Provides food vouchers, health counseling, and education to qualifying pregnant and nursing women, infants, and children under age 5.
- The Hunger Action Network of New York State – A statewide anti-hunger coalition that combines grassroots organizing at the local level with state level research, education and advocacy to address the root causes of hunger, including poverty.
- Food Bank of the Hudson Valley – Food pantries, soup kitchens, rehabilitation programs, senior programs, day care centers, emergency shelters, and programs for the disabled through member agencies in Orange, Ulster, Dutchess, Rockland, Sullivan, and Putnam counties.
- Regional Food Bank of Northeastern NY Agency List – From Plattsburgh to Newburgh, in urban, rural, and suburban communities, the Food Bank provides nearly 20 million pounds of food a year to over 1,000 agencies.
- Dutchess Outreach – Located at the Family Partnership Center, 20 North Hamilton, Poughkeepsie, their “Dress for Success Program” is available to women in need of an “interview” suit. Go to the “I Need Help” section of the website for application information.
Visit the Salvation Army website to find local offices and programs.
Spread the Wellness – Helping Others:
Giving back to the community and to others is a very rewarding action. If you are fortunate enough to be capable of giving or volunteering, there are many excellent local charity organizations that need your assistance. Here are a few of those agencies:
- United Way – Find organizations in your neighborhood in need of volunteers, donations, and a helping hand.
- Dutchess County Outreach – How Can I Help, Events Calendar.
- UlsterCorps – UlsterCorps is an initiative whose goal is to create connections between volunteers and programs and services within Ulster County.
- American Red Cross of Greater New York – Give blood and save lives! You can also learn what to do to keep your family safe.
- Hudson Valley Food Bank – Includes calendar of events, food drives, and ways you may help.