Has it always been your dream to open up your own business and be your own boss? Well if so, we’ve got the resources to help you get it started and keep it growing! From the early stages of developing a business plan to obtaining an inventory loan, here’s how to get started today. And once your business is up and running, be sure to review the full range of business accounts and loans available at HVFCU. You can also contact our Business Services Department directly by calling 845.463.3011 x2270 between 8 am – 5 pm EST, Monday – Friday.
Click on one of the Starting a Business topics from the list below, or scroll to see the entire page content.
|SCORE||New York State Small Business Development Center|
|New York State||Small Business Administration|
|Economic Development||Chambers of Commerce|
|Business Use of Your Home|
SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs. They assist with the formation, growth, and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and can provide you with the “how-to” information and the tools that you need to get going.
The NYSSBDC provides free, one-to-one business advisement and information to existing or aspiring entrepreneurs in New York. The SBDC partners with numerous organizations on projects that advance the job development, investment, and economic growth opportunities of New Yorkers, with an emphasis on manufacturers, exporters, and technology-oriented firms.
New York State
The state has a wide variety of resources available for individuals starting a new business or expanding an existing one. Many of the state agencies have regional access.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist, and protect the interests of small business concerns, to preserve free competitive enterprise, and to maintain and strengthen the overall economy of our nation. They help Americans start, build, and grow businesses. Through an extensive network of field offices and partnerships with public and private organizations, SBA delivers its services to people throughout the United States.
- Military Veterans – There are programs that are unique to the needs of military veterans.
- Women – There is information available to women who want to start and manage their own businesses.
There are regional and county specific organizations that will help you get started. The employees and volunteers involved in the organization know our community and the resources available.
- Tech Valley – Tech Valley is dedicated to providing excellent career and educational opportunities and a high quality of lifestyles to all who live locally. Tech Valley is an organization which is deeply rooted in invention and innovation, and is backed by strong community involvement, a robust business environment, and government-led initiatives. They can help you get started in your own business.
- Mid-Hudson Pattern For Progress – Pattern for Progress is a non-profit, public policy research and planning institute.
- Each of our four counties have economic development organizations:
Chambers of Commerce
Chambers of commerce provide resources in all areas of business including educational opportunities, networking events, website, and printed publications. Here are some of our local chambers:
- Beacon Chamber of Commerce
- Dover-Wingdale Chamber of Commerce – To learn how the chamber can help your business in the Dover / Wingdale area, call 845.877.9800.
- Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Harlem Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Hyde Park Chamber of Commerce
- Pawling Chamber of Commerce
- Pleasant Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Red Hook Area Chamber of Commerce
- Rhinebeck Area Chamber of Commerce
- Goshen Chamber of Commerce
- Orange County Chamber of Commerce
- Chamber of Commerce of Ulster County
- Ellenville/Wawarsing Chamber of Commerce
- New Paltz Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Rosendale Chamber of Commerce
- Saugerties Area Chamber of Commerce
- Southern Ulster Chamber of Commerce
- Woodstock Chamber of Commerce & Art
- Brewster Chamber of Commerce
- Cold Spring Area Chamber of Commerce
- The Greater Mahopac – Carmel Chamber of Commerce
- Carmel – Kent Chamber of Commerce
- Patterson Chamber of Commerce
Income Tax Implications of Business Use of Your Home
There income tax implications when you use your home for a business. Learn more through the following IRS publication: